The Clean Products Upgrade Project (CPUP) includes:
- A $90 million upgrade that will help the refinery comply with upcoming environmental regulations and improve air quality around the refinery
- A $300 million upgrade to improve and expand the types of products produced at the refinery
Key components of the CPUP includes:
- The installation of a new system that serves as a vacuum to capture emissions during the loading of marine vessels
- An upgraded production unit that will reduce the sulfur content in gasoline
- A new unit that will allow the refinery to produce mixed xylenes, which is used in the production of polyester fibers and films
Most importantly, any changes made as part of the upgrade will undergo thorough regulatory and environmental review, and secure all necessary approvals.